Monday, February 18, 2013

Time for a History Lesson!

Ok, ok, I know History lessons are not always the most interesting thing is the world but this one BLEW MY MIND!! So Naturally I had to share with all of you wonderful people :) 

During training for Totus Tuus this past summer Father Paul Hoesing (The Vocations Director for the ArchDiocese of Omaha) was telling us about how everything in the Bible is part of our story. How the stories that we hear in the Bible continue on through us. Someone wrote the word history on the white bord that was in the room. For some reason I just sat there and stared at that word for a while...

Humm...History. Then I started saying it over and over in my mind. Saying the word slower each time I said it.

Histooorrryyy. History. HIStory. His Story.




OH MY GOSH HIS STORY!! 

It was at this point that I realized that History is God's story, His story of our lives and how HE works in them.  
Now at first I thought I was crazy, it was cool but just a fun quirk Jesus through in to make me smile...but I was Wrong.

"History is His-story, the story of God at work in the world, often 'underneath the surface of history,' in a drama of salvation that is the human story, read in its proper depth." - George Weigel, Letters to a Young Catholic


It was  not until today while I was reading this book that I got conformation that I was not crazy! This idea was brought back into my life  nine months after the original thought! And that is how God works!

That is why, "Catholics can't think of history as flat. Catholics can't think of history as the exhaust fumes of the 'means of production.' Catholics can't think of history as politics, period." -George Weigel
Because history is. We are apart of His-Story NOW! So we need to act on it. When we are old and gray people will ask us, "What was 9/11 like?" "What was it like when Pope Benedict gave up the pontificate?" "What was it like when..." We are living history, His-story. So lets make it a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment